Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Observation

I was observed today. I thought it kind of weird since we JUST got back into the swing of things. But I guess it was okay, since I'm still riding the "honeymoon" wave. The kids always come back after Christmas break focused and ready to learn. I try to stretch that as long as I can!!!

My observation went well. I did a fraction lesson. For some reason I feel like I got observed last year on this same lesson?! I have my post-ob meeting tomorrow. I hope it goes over well!

This also leads me to ask the question-- when you are observing another teacher, what do you look for?

This question was posed tonight in my new class (wahoo!). We were asked to either blog about it, or put it up on a discussion board. So, here I am.

If I were observing a teacher, I would look for classroom management above and beyond all else. I feel that this is the key to good teaching. If you can manage your classroom well, then these children are like putty in your hands!

I'd also be looking for unique teaching styles. I wouldn't want to see a teacher simply teaching out of the text book. Specifically, I'd be looking for hands-on activities, and extension activities.

The classroom should be inviting and the teacher should show kindness towards her students. I'd look for modern teaching techniques, such as the TESA techniques we've all come to know so well and love!

What would you look for?

No comments:

Post a Comment